Croydon is a suburb in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia located close to 28 kilometres east of Melbourne’s main business area. Croydon has a populace of almost 27,000 people. The property which eventually became Croydon was initially utilised back in the 1840’s by colonists for the grazing of farm animals. The very first road in the area was known as Sawmill road because of a sawmill nearby. Later it was changed to Oxford Road and in the 1900’s it was altered to what it is identified at this time as Mt Dandenong Road. The area itself was first called White Flats as the region was to a great extent populated by a coarse silvery-white type grass. The naming of Croydon was presented to it from the Lacey family members who got their start in Essex, England who called it after the Croydon in the United Kingdom that was Mrs. Lacey’s hometown. Nearby the current Main St shopping area is a road called after the Lacey family.
Parcels of land in the area were first surveyed in 1868 and the location was first formally habituated with all the location concentrating on the farming of sheep, beef and dairy. There have been several sawmills established. Next, there have been orchards which included cherries, apples, peaches, pears and plums which did well. A number of the current street names in and around Croydon now mirror that earlier development. In 1874 Cobb & Co started services through horses and buggies to the region. A railroad track to the area was opened on 1 December 1882 and the rail station was referred to as Warrandyte that was not really actually in Warrandyte which was deceiving as that area was a horse and coach journey 10km away. On 1 August 1884 it had been redubbed to become known as the Croydon train stop. In the mid-1880s Mr James Hewish built his home and commenced a number of other business ventures which incorporated a general store, news agency, butchers store as well as a hotel. Also, he established several orchard trees. The Croydon Post Office was exposed on 1 December 1883. The nearby Nelson’s Hill Post Office launched in 1902 and was subsequently relabeled Burnt Bridge in 1979. On Mt Dandenong Road in 1908 Croydon Hall was built. It was ultimately declared and gazetted being a town in 1912.
In 1920 a Monday market was began in Croydon that included livestock, chickens, birds and other small animals. It was really a noted landmark in the area as well as a favorite meeting place for locals from neighbouring areas before the site was redeveloped in the 80s. The market was finally closed down in 2012. For administrative, Croydon was at first a part of the thing that was then the Shire of Lillydale, but in 1957 a request was registered by authorities for Croydon to go out of the Shire of Lillydale and become its very own overseeing body. The City and Shire of Croydon was incorporated in May 1961 and it was proclaimed as a City in 1971. Afterwards, it was merged, along with the City of Ringwood to become the City of Maroondah in 1994. At this time, the Main Street of Croydon is a growing area heart with nearly 200 shops.